Liverpool will take on Huddersfield Town and Tranmere Rovers this summer, as their pre-season plans continue to take shape.
- Reds to play Huddersfield Town and Tranmere Rovers in domestic pre-season fixtures.
- Final International Champions Cup clash against Barcelona set to take place at Wembley Stadium.
- Boston fixture pencilled in as possible stop on way back from US tour.
With Jurgen Klopp planning a brutal pre-season regime of triple training sessions, early starts and late nights, as he looks to build a “base” for his side for 2016/17, planning has continued off the field, too.
According to reports on Thursday night, this will include pre-season fixtures against Championship side Huddersfield and Conference outfit Tranmere.
Huddersfield are managed by Klopp’s friend and former Borussia Dortmund colleague, David Wagner, while local side Tranmere hold close ties with the Reds.
The last time Liverpool played Tranmere in pre-season came in 2008, with a single Yossi Benayoun strike settling a July clash at Prenton Park, watched by a crowd of 15,000.
Meanwhile, the Reds’ third International Champions Cup game against Barcelona is set to be played at Wembley Stadium on August 6th after games in California against Chelsea and AC Milan.
There’s also the possibility of a game in Boston on the way back from the west coast of America, which wouldn’t be part of the ICC.
Klopp will be utilising these pre-season friendlies as glorified training exercises, with the German explaining that he won’t be expecting top performances and emphatic results from his side.
“In all of the [pre-season] games, we will play out full training,” he said.
“So, if we play our best in pre-season [games], I’ve done something completely wrong.
“It’s another [training] session, it’s not about beating our opponents.”
Klopp’s backroom staff will be joined by two former Bayern Munich fitness experts, in coach Andreas Kornmayer and nutritionist Mona Nemmer, with their first fixture currently scheduled for July 27th.
Liverpool FC pre-season 2016/17 dates, information and news:
- June 3 – Copa America starts
- June 10 – Euro 2016 starts
- June 15 – New PL fixtures released
- June 26 – Copa America ends
- July 10 – Euro 2016 ends
- July 27: Liverpool v Chelsea
Rose Bowl; Pasadena, California. 8:30pm Pacific time (4.30am BST, July 28)
- July 28: Potential Europa League qualifier
- July 30: Liverpool v AC Milan
Levi’s Stadium; Santa Clara, California. 7pm Pacific time (3am BST, July 31)
- August 4: Potential Europa League qualifier
- August 6: Liverpool v FC Barcelona
Wembley, London (Location TBC). 3pm BST
- August 13: 2016/17 Premier League season starts