Philippe Coutinho has reportedly asked Barcelona to approach Liverpool with a fourth bid this summer, despite strong indications he won’t be sold.
The Reds have already turned down three offers for the Brazilian, worth £72 million, £90.4 million and £114.2 million respectively.
With just over a week to go before the end of the transfer window, Fenway Sports Group have repeatedly underlined their stance over Coutinho’s future, which they believe is on Merseyside.
But according to Sky Sports, Barcelona are “preparing” a new package to “test Liverpool’s resolve” in the closing stages of the summer.
This is said to be worth up to £138 million, with an initial £101 million potentially followed up by a further £37 million in performance-based add-ons.
They even cite a source in Spain as saying “Philippe has never been more determined to leave,” and that the Liga giants “will never give up.”
While the credibility of reports of a fourth bid can be questioned, Sky Sports’ Guillem Balague has shed further light on the subject.
“Barcelona are very aware Liverpool are not selling but have been asked by Coutinho to give it a last go,” he wrote on Twitter.
“Coutinho expects Barcelona to offer £128.8 million but they cant afford him, [Ousmane] Dembele, [Angel] di Maria and [Jean Michael] Seri.
“So they’re putting efforts mostly on Dembele and Di Maria.
“The relevant people at Barcelona believe a new offer for Coutinho won’t be accepted by Liverpool.”
It was reported on Tuesday that Coutinho was set to backtrack on his attempts to force a move away from Anfield, having previously told the club he would never play for them again.
Coutinho is clearly not happy at Liverpool, having handed in a transfer request earlier in August.
And if Barcelona do make a fourth offer to the Reds in the coming days, it looks set to be a last desperate move from the No. 10 and his agent, Kia Joorabchian.