“We are not good losers,” was Jurgen Klopp‘s declaration on Friday and there was no denying that Liverpool “have to show a reaction” after what was a lacklustre performance against Inter.
The manager will have another option to turn to in his forward line with Roberto Firmino back in contention, but three absentees from training have raised Covid concerns.
It leaves a handful of question marks for the early lunchtime kickoff but the Reds are not short on top-class players to choose from to extend their league run to eight wins in a row.
Here is how the Reds could line up at the Amex.
There was positive news regarding Firmino but Klopp’s hint at Covid cases could see him without at least one of his senior players:
- Firmino “is back” in contention after near full week of training
- Klopp hinted at Covid issues for players and staff
- Konate, Van Dijk and Thiago notable absentees during Thursday’s training
Liverpool’s XI vs. Brighton
A place for Luis Diaz could them beckon after what was an uninspiring performance from the front three at Anfield:
- Alisson and back four remain unchanged from midweek
- Henderson returns to the XI next to Fabinho and Thiago
- Diaz to slot in alongside Salah and Jota; Mane option from bench
This would see the Reds take to the field like this:
- Gomez into the XI in otherwise unchanged back-line
- Keita could get the nod in midfield
- Salah, Diaz and Mane to lead from the front; Jota and Firmino sub options
Those changes would have Liverpool line up as follows:
As abovementioned, much will hinge on the availability of Van Dijk and Thiago but if all is well they will be expected to be members of Klopp’s latest XI.
Having seen a two-goal lead slip the last time the two teams met, there will be no underestimating the hosts despite their current run that has seen them pick up one win from the last nine.