Liverpool arrive at ‘Anfield South’ looking to secure a record ninth League Cup title against Manuel Pellegrini’s City on Sunday afternoon.
A productive European night against Augsburg completed part one of a season-defining four days facing the Reds, leaving Klopp’s side dreaming of turning a positive start into the perfect finish with a first trophy since 2012.
Klopp will select his strongest side available as he attempts to add to the Anfield trophy cabinet just four months into his reign, and his selection for the showcase final is a straightforward pick.
- Strong squad at Klopp’s disposal for Wembley visit
- Lovren and Skrtel fit again after injury lay-offs
- Allen and Lallana also back to boost midfield and attack options
- Gomez, Rossiter, Stewart and Ings only remaining absentees
- But team selection still likely to be a straightforward pick for Klopp
- One change likely from Augsburg win with Toure replacing Lucas in defence
- Though Brazilian will be hopeful of a first Wembley appearance
- Can and Henderson to continue midfield partnership
- Coutinho, Firmino & Sturridge to spearhead Reds
- But Klopp has dilemma with substitutes’ bench
- Reds boss needs match-ready options at his disposal
- Therefore returning seniors could miss Wembley clash due to lack of fitness
The Starting XI
Having finally been able to name a consistent and strong side in recent weeks, a familiar looking Liverpool team to that of recent games will almost certainly line up again at Wembley.
Klopp is almost certain to make one change to his side that overcame Augsburg however, with Kolo Toure coming in for Lucas Leiva at centre-back after the Ivorian was rested in midweek.
But Toure’s introduction appears likely to be the only switch, with little other alternatives for Klopp, seeing the team almost pick itself, as returning first-teamers Martin Skrtel, Dejan Lovren, Joe Allen and Adam Lallana lack the match fitness required for serious consideration.
That lack of sharpness could see the quartet left out of involvement altogether after Klopp said some players will be disappointed with decisions over the final squad, with the German needing match-fit options to call upon.
Therefore, Jordon Ibe, Divock Origi and Christian Benteke could be the men to offer firepower from the bench if needed, with Lucas the midfield alternative.
Jon Flanagan and Steven Caulker – if Lovren is not quite fit enough to come in – could then complete the substitutes with Danny Ward.
Liverpool’s starting XI and subs bench at Wembley could look something like this:
Substitutes: Ward, Flanagan, Lovren, Lucas, Ibe, Origi, Benteke
It’s time for the players to rise to the occasion at Wembley and signal an exciting new era at Anfield – by continuing Liverpool’s League Cup love affair.[td_ad_box spot_id=”custom_ad_2″]
Pick your XI:
[table id=139 /]
More from This Is Anfield
Fan CommentsComments are retrospectively moderated. Some could be subject to delays before publication. They must obey the comment policy. Comments load below.
Please only discuss the article above. General chat can be made on our forums at forums.thisisanfield.com