It is understood that Liverpool could be set to renew their interest in Brazilian full-back Daniel Alves, despite having two offers turned down by his Spanish club Seville last week.
It was thought that Benitez lost interest in signing the 23-year-old when his second bid was rejected and reports have since linked the Reds to signing Birmingham’s Jermaine Pennant instead.
But Alves’ agent, Jose Rodriguez Baster, is still hopeful a deal can be made to land Alves his dream move to Anfield. He said, “It is true that there are difficulties with the deal. There is an economic difference between what Sevilla are demanding and what Liverpool are willing to pay.
“We need to try and reach a compromise and we will try to do this in the next few days. Liverpool is Daniel’s first option.”
Meanwhile Djibril Cisse’s move to Marseille looks almost complete with his agent expecting the deal to go through in the next few days.
Pape Diouf, Cisse’s agent, says that the French international striker, currently out of action due to a broken leg, already considers himself a Marseille player. “We arevery close to an agreement, and we think it will be a one-year loan deal,” said Diouf.
“I still have a few details to discuss with Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry. Things can happen very quickly now. We will only announce Cisse’s signing after the papers have been signed.
“But I talk to Djibril every day on the phone. For him he is already a Marseille player.”
And finally, Sheffield Wednesday’s move to take Liverpool’s third-choice keeper Scott Carson on loan for next season could be back on. Chairman Dave Allen says, “Scott Carson has revealed a desire to return here for a season. We can meet his salary.”
It is now up to Liverpool to decide whether loaning Carson to Sheffield Wednesday would boost his future prospects at all.