Rafa ‘rules out’ Silva signing

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Rafa Benitez has denied reports he is interested in signing Valencia midfielder David Silva this summer.

Liverpool Echo’s well respected LFC correspondent Tony Barrett claimed on Thursday Silva was a transfer target, but Benitez said on Friday “We will not be signing him.”

Rafa’s former club Valencia have huge debts, reportedly 450m euros, and are expected to offload the likes of Silva, David Villa and Raul Albiol this summer – all three have been linked with moves to Anfield recently.

Many Liverpool fans, myself included, see Silva as the perfect addition to the Reds’ attacking midfield options, adding some creativity and guile to the options we already have. I’ve said previously that the £20m on Keane and £8m on Dossena would have been better spent splashing out on Silva and I’d love it to happen this summer. Hopefully this is a case of “no smoke without fire”.

Benitez admits he is working hard on additions to the squad this summer though, telling the official website “We are working hard, talking with the scouting department and looking at names and options for next season. It’s still too soon, but we are working hard.”

To mark the end of the 30-year wait for a league title, the ‘Liverpool Mishmash’ poster is available to order exclusively on This Is Anfield — the history of the Reds in one image!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Fan Comments