The build up to Sunday’s Premier League clash has begun, the anticipation as Liverpool travel to Stamford Bridge just three points behind the Blues and on an unbeaten run of eight games in all competitions…
In Friday Morning’s Melwood Today…
- Liverpool sign Seyi Ojo
- Kenny’s Views on Chelsea
- Gerrard’s Injury Update
- Joe Cole considers staying at Lille
- Friday Morning’s Merseyside Rumour Mill
Liverpool sign Seyi Ojo
Liverpool have signed MK Dons 14 year old midfielder, Seyi Ojo. Ojo joins our Academy having already played twice for England’s U16’s during their recent Victory Shield.
Dons Chairman Peter Winkelman told the MK Dons official website
“This is the opportunity of a lifetime for Seyi and his parents which has proved far too difficult to turn down, There has been a lot of interest and speculation regarding Seyi which he has coped with admirably.”
We are extremely proud to have Seyi in our record books as our first schoolboy to receive an international cap. Everyone at the club would like to wish Seyi the best of luck in his future and we all look forward to the day he runs out at Anfield.”
Kenny’s pre-match Chelsea Views
Kenny had his pre match press conference yesterday and with the Reds on an 8 match unbeaten run in all competitions, Kenny explained why his players can draw confidence from the amount of chances they’ve created in recent weeks, he also pointed out Chelsea‘s midfield duo Frank Lampard and Mata as potential threats and also reported he has no new injury concerns after the international break…
“I haven’t really had a close enough look at them to see (how they’ve changed) but they’ve signed some players. Mata has come in, Meireles has come in and Daniel Sturridge has come back from loan at Bolton, so there are three for starters. We’ll have a look at them over the next few days and we’ll make sure we play to our strengths, but give them the respect they deserve.
I don’t think there’ll be any suggestion from here that Frank Lampard’s time has passed. I think the people who have said it are looking a wee bit stupid now. Juan Mata is a very good player. I just hope he has a nightmare on Sunday if he’s playing.”
Gerrard’s Injury Update
Gerrard has been sidelined for Liverpool’s last two games against West Brom and Swansea, as well as England’s back-to-back friendly wins over Spain and Sweden after an infection which was initially caused by an apparently innocuous cut during training.
In his Chelsea pre match press conference, Kenny updated fans on Gerrard’s injury….
“Steven is progressing brilliantly. There is nothing that’s been a disappointment other than he’s not been available for selection. He’ll be available as and when he’s over what he’s got but everything’s going really well. We couldn’t ask for more or any greater news from him.”
Kenny was also pressed on Gerrard’s return date and whether Gerrard could feature in Liverpool’s trip to Chelsea on Sunday but simply insisted that the Reds skipper will feature “when he’s ready”.
Friday Morning’s Merseyside Rumour Mill
- Aly Cissokho – The Daily Mirror are reporting that Liverpool are trying to negotiate a cut-price January deal for Lyon’s Aly Cissokho. Cissokho, a left back who can also operate in midfield, is apparently wanted by both the Reds and Newcastle, but he is believed to want a move to Anfield.
- Ryad Boudebouz – Sportsvibe are reporting that Liverpool are hoping to beat off competition from Spanish side Real Betis as they look to secure the signature of Sochaux attacking midfielder Ryad Boudebouz.
- Philippe Coutinho – The Daily Mail announced on Thursday afternoon that Liverpool are continuing to monitor Inter Milan midfielder Philippe Coutinho with the Brazilian 19 year old reportedly unhappy at being left on the fringes of the first team at Inter.
- Lucas Rodrigues – The Daily Mail have also reported that Brazilian wonderkid Lucas Rodrigues is continued to be scouted by Liverpool’s director of football Damien Comolli.
- Admir Mehmedi – Finally, Striker Admir Mehmedi’s name continues to be linked with a move to Liverpool. Mehmedi has scored 13 goals in 47 matches for Zurich…
Joe Cole considers staying at Lille
Having made 14 appearances for Lille scoring three goals already this season, the Daily Mail have reported that Joe Cole has revealed he’s enjoying football in France and revealed he may consider extending his stay when his current loan deal expires at the end of the season.
‘I’m very happy because I hadn’t played for a long, long time and sometimes it’s difficult to find your fitness but I’m happy with my form. I played [in central midfield] against Evian and part of the Milan (Inter Milan in the Champions League) game. I enjoyed it. I like to defend as well as attack and being involved as much as I can. In that position you touch the ball the most and I think I can help the team in that position.
‘The main focus to me is on the football. If my family is happy and I’m happy we’ll talk in May. And Lille has to be happy. We’ll see in May.’
In other news, Joe Cole also revealed yesterday his desire to play for Great Britain at the 2012 London Olympics…
Friday Mornings Premier League Round Up
- The Guardian have reported that Liverpool will have the backing of the Uruguayan football association to help Luis Suárez fight the allegations of racial abuse.
- Fernando Torres has told Liverpool fans they are unaware of the real reasons behind his transfer to Chelsea.
- Newcastle United have handed teenage striker Sammy Ameobi a new three-and-a-half-year contract with the club, following his first-team breakthrough.
- The FA’s appeal against Wayne Rooney‘s three-match Euro 2012 suspension has been brought forward to December 8
- Everton’s Marouane Fellaini has signed a new 5 year contract which ties him to the club until the summer of 2016.
- Tony Adams has resigned as manager of FC Gabala after 18 months in Azerbaijan
Here at Melwood Today, we want to interact with every reader online and bring our readers the passion and wit of our Liverpool supporters by giving you the chance to interact with fellow fans all over the world….
If you were given the opportunity to ask one current or former Liverpool player one question and one question only, who would it be and what would your question be?
Let us know in the comment section below and the best comments will be posted in Monday’s Melwood Today article…
Melwood Today – Your quick round up of some of Liverpool’s essential and not-so-essential news every morning on ThisIsAnfield.com …