Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has attempted to reassure fans that the club are “in control” of the developing story of Luis Suarez’s future on Merseyside.
Suarez has been linked with big money move to Real Madrid this summer, and quotes from the Uruguayan international himself have suggested his time in England is up.
Just last week it was reported that Liverpool will make Suarez hand in a transfer request to force him into forfeiting a £1million loyalty bonus, should he want to leave.
But Rodgers says that he has been in contact with Suarez and sees the 26-year-old as an integral part of his squad’s immediate future.
Speaking to radio station talkSPORT on Saturday, Rodgers said, “I haven’t spoke to him, We’ve exchanged messages. For me it’s quite simple. The club is in control of the situation.
“We’re in a situation that we’ve got a player that we don’t want to lose and Suarez is important to the team we’re building.”
“The problem is with Luis, he says he loves Liverpool, the people and the city, but that doesn’t get reported much.”
The Sunday Mirror report that Liverpool are fearing Real Madrid will leave it late to launch their bid for Suarez, in order to get his price down. The saga could run for another two months yet.
Rodgers also took the interview opportunity to discuss the recent acquisitions of Luis Alberto, Kolo Toure and Iago Aspas.
He also spoke about the imminent signing of Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet as competition for first choice goalkeeper Pepe Reina.