His move from Southampton may not be expected to be confirmed until Monday, but a leaked photograph of Rickie Lambert signing his contract at Liverpool emerged on Sunday evening.
The 32-year-old striker is thought to have signed a two-year contract in a £4 million move to Anfield, returning to the club that let him go as a 15-year-old hopeful back in 1997.
Welcome Rickie Lambert pic.twitter.com/30yNQ6AOfY
— Ritchie (@JohnRitchie84) June 1, 2014
The photograph is accompanied by a quote from Lambert, who supposededly says on the move, “I can’t believe it. I’ve loved this club all my life. I have always dreamt of playing for Liverpool.”
On Saturday, Lambert briefly spoke to Sky Sports about the next chapter in his career, but said he couldn’t reveal much until Monday.
In an article earlier this week for This Is Anfield, Jack Lusby explained why the move is a good one for Liverpool at this moment in time:
The England international will offer Brendan Rodgers a complex, intelligent option across the front line, and perhaps even deeper, supplemented with a genuine Premier League pedigree.
At £4 million, even at the age of 32, signing Lambert from Southampton this summer will likely prove a snip for the Reds.
Lambert was an unused substitute as England beat Peru 3-0 on Friday night at Wembley, with his medical the next day at the Spire hospital in Liverpool.
How do you feel about Liverpool signing Lambert? Where does he fit into Rodgers’ plans? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.