Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard says he has been “broken” from England’s premature World Cup exit, but insists he won’t make a decision over his international future yet.
England will return home after Tuesday’s group D encounter with Costa Rica, having lost their opening two games to Italy and Uruguay.
Gerrard had been expected to reveal whether he would continue playing for his country before leaving Brazil, but the 34-year-old midfielder has put a delay on that.
“There is no truth I’ll be making any announcement on my England future in the next week,” he told the media at his final press conference of the tournament. “I need more time than that.
“I’m still hurting and I’m still broken from the last couple of weeks.”
It caps off a deflating couple of months for Gerrard after Liverpool narrowly missed out on winning the Premier League in May.
But Gerrard, who made his England debut over 14 years ago, says there is still a lot of positivity around the team and success for the future.
He added, “I don’t know what the plans are going forward. I do agree with what the manager has said that the talent is in the group.
“The talent is there. At the moment, it is very difficult for myself, the players, to find a lot of positives.
“When you look at the bigger picture, things can change very quickly in football.
“I think we have got world-class players and I think we’ve got players with world-class potential. But these tournaments only come around every two years. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Costa Rica v England gets underway at 5pm (UK) on Tuesday, 24th June on ITV at the Estádio Mineirão in Belo Horizonte.
What next for Gerrard? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below and don’t forget to vote in the poll above.