Fifa have gone back on their decision to prohibit Luis Suarez from training during his four month ban from world football.
When football’s world governing body announced Suarez’s ban last week, they confirmed that it extended from matches, to training and even entering a stadium during the four month period.
Uruguay have appealed against the ban of Suarez for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini during last Tuesday’s World Cup encounter in Natal, although Suarez immediately missed their second round exit to Colombia on Saturday.
As well as being banned from playing until the end of October, Suarez is also banned for eight further international matches.
Although not clear-cut about the extent of Suarez’s ban, Claudio Sulser, the head of Fifa’s disciplinary committee, is quoted by The Guardian as saying, “No you can’t limit those rights [to train] to the player, because it would be disproportionate.
“This is still an ongoing case and an appeal has been filed, so I prefer not to give my opinion.
“When the committee was analysing this case, one thing I mentioned in my capacity as the chairman is we don’t need to impose an exemplary sanction, we need to have justice and reach the sanction in a very severe case.”
Fifa appear to have been more sympathetic towards Suarez this week after the Liverpool forward released a statement apologising for his actions in the 1-0 victory in Group D.
On Wednesday, Fifa president Sepp Blatter says Suarez’s apology did not go unnoticed by the powers that be.
“He said ‘I’m sorry’ to the soccer family, and that’s fair play too,” Blatter told reporters.
“That shows he’s a great player and I hope he can have his soccer career back.”
Though banned from football, Suarez is allowed to move to another club and signs are looking increasingly likely that he will seal a move to Barcelona in the near future.