Liverpool are open to offers for Raheem Sterling of around £50 million, according to The Telegraph journalist Chris Bascombe.
Sterling has dominated the headlines this week with his future unclear. He was given a torrent of abuse by some supporters before and during Liverpool’s humiliating 6-1 defeat at Stoke City on Sunday.
Brendan Rodgers had dropped the 20-year-old from the starting lineup, and he was an unused substitute as Liverpool’s season came to a depressing end.
Sterling and his agent Aidy Ward had been expected to formally request a move away from Anfield on Friday until Liverpool cancelled the meeting following alleged comments made to the London Evening Standard by Ward.
Rodgers had told press he expected Sterling to see out the final two years of his current Liverpool deal, and even urged fans to support the England international, but his decision to drop Sterling at Stoke perhaps spoke louder than words.
“With Raheem I felt he’s had a lot going on over the past number of months,” Rodgers told the BBC’s Final Score after Sunday’s defeat.
“I just felt there were other players mentally in a better position to play in the game. It was as simple as that.”