Serie A clubs Inter Milan and Napoli have expressed interest in signing Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva this summer, according to reports.
Lucas Leiva could be set to leave Liverpool this summer, and the Brazilian midfielder’s likely destination is Serie A, reports claim.
Lucas is reported to be looking for a move after a breakdown in his relationship with manager Brendan Rodgers.
David Maddock of the Mirror writes: “Lucas looks certain to leave Liverpool after being axed from the squad on the opening day of the season.”
The 28-year-old wasn’t included in the match-day squad as the Reds defeated Stoke City 1-0 on Sunday.
Maddock says this led to a “frank exchange” with Rodgers.
“That fall-out is likely to spell the end of the 28-year-old’s eight-year stint at Anfield, with the Brazilian resigned to the fact he has fallen out of favour after slipping far down the midfield pecking order,” he continues.
James Milner, Jordan Henderson, Emre Can and Joe Allen are all said to be ahead of the former Gremio man in the midfield pecking order.
This situation is said to have piqued the interest of Serie A sides Inter Milan and Napoli, as Maddock details.
“Inter Milan are ready to offer him an escape route after opening a dialogue with the Reds over a deal that could see the midfielder move initially on a year-long loan,” he writes.
Maddock later adds: “There has been some interest in Italy, with Napoli also enquiring recently about the player, but it seems Inter have made the strongest approach and are prepared to pay a sizeable loan fee to take him this season.”
Interestingly, Real Madrid playmaker Asier Illarramendi and Sporting CP midfielder William Carvalho are listed as possible replacements.
Lucas could join exiled trio Jose Enrique, Fabio Borini and Mario Balotelli through the Anfield exit towards the end of the transfer window.
Meanwhile, Chris Bascombe of the Telegraph suggests that Mamadou Sakho and Alberto Moreno—signed by Rodgers but both left out at Stoke—could also be facing questions over their futures on Merseyside.
“Mamadou Sakho must wait for his opportunity after Rodgers made it clear Dejan Lovren and Martin Skrtel are his preferred pairing at centre-half,” Bascombe writes.
“Lovren responded to that show of faith with his most accomplished performance since joining Liverpool.
“Although Sakho’s absence could in part be attributed to him being granted paternity leave for three days in the build up to the opening day, he will still be a back-up option for now.
“Alberto Moreno was also left out as Joe Gomez made an accomplished debut at left back, although it is inevitable the 18-year-old signed from Charlton will be nurtured through his debut season.
“Liverpool must decide whether to retain Moreno – who will attract interest from La Liga – or cash in and look for another left back.”
After making a string of high-profile signings earlier in the summer, the Reds could bookend their transfer window by trimming their squad of deadwood.