Liverpool fans breathed a big sigh of relief as the Reds battled past Bordeaux at Anfield on Thursday night to book a place in the Europa League Round of 32.
After Simon Mignolet had given away an indirect free-kick for holding onto the ball for over 20 seconds, and subsequently conceding Henri Saivet’s opener, a penalty from James Milner and a stunning Christian Benteke strike turned things round before half time.
Despite some nervy moments late on Liverpool held onto their lead and have qualified with one game left to play in the Europa League group stage.
The Reds can clinch top spot when they visit Sion on Thursday, 10th December.
There were several big talking points from the victory over Bordeaux – from Mignolet’s lack of concentration, to Benteke’s strike and Jurgen Klopp‘s animation on the touchlines.
We're either fantastic high end pressing or edgy deep defending. We're missing the control that comes from the middle and we haven't got it.
— Ryan (@ryan3levis) November 26, 2015
Christian Benteke v Bordeaux
— LFC Stats (@LFCData) November 26, 2015
Kinny Riddle in the This Is Anfield Forums:
Klopp’s first Euro Anfield win – check. Next up, his first Premier League Anfield win. In order to build Anfield up as a fortress, the players will have to build up the mental fortitude for it, today is a start. Hopefully we can have more comfortable home wins as confidence builds up over the months.
Did just enough again. Chances to expand the lead midway through that half. Ibe needs a finish in him and he'll be a top player.
— John Houlding (@Anfield_Tickets) November 26, 2015
Only nine games in, admittedly, but Jürgen Klopp now has a win percentage above 50% at #lfc (55.56%).
— Dave Phillips (@lovefutebol) November 26, 2015
Liverpool 2-1 Bordeaux FT:
Pass accuracy: 78%-81%
Chances created: 9-5
Possession: 49%-51% pic.twitter.com/dRztcmeeGp
— Squawka Football (@Squawka) November 26, 2015
norwegian wood in the This Is Anfield Forums:
Hardly a classic, but with the schedule we have now the next 2-3 weeks I can’t say I’m too bothered. Just wanted the three points tonight, and we got them.
Should be able to go to Sion now and get the point we need to win the group, without going full speed. A similar performance to Rubin away should do the trick.
Job done tonight, another win, qualification, Ibe looked ace again, benteke looks a proper hand full, solid performance, winning habit #LFC
— Paul Austin (@PaulBigpaulie) November 26, 2015
Liverpool 2-1 Bordeaux
- Match Report: Milner and Benteke send Reds into Europa League last 32
- Player Ratings: Mignolet 5, Allen 7, Benteke 6.5
- Talking Points: Simon’s shambles & job done as progress secured
- Player Focus: Christian Benteke showing how Liverpool can get best of him…and his limitations
- View From the Kop: Anfield resurgent as Liverpool secure Europa progress
- Opinion: Why Liverpool’s victory over Bordeaux was vital for more than just qualification
- Paper Talk: “Far from the intense, dazzling destruction of Man City”
- Video: Jurgen Klopp’s Post Liverpool 2-1 Bordeaux Press Conference
- Photos: Best of the action from Liverpool 2-1 Bordeaux