West Brom ‘express interest’ in signing Christian Benteke – report

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

West Brom could offer Christian Benteke an escape route this summer, with Tony Pulis said to have expressed an interest in the Liverpool striker.

Benteke looks set to leave Merseyside at the end of the season, having found himself out of Jurgen Klopp‘s plans for the Reds’ first team.

The Belgian is behind Daniel Sturridge, Roberto Firmino and Divock Origi in Klopp’s thinking, with the injured Danny Ings primed to take up a regular role under the German on his return in 2016/17.

This leaves Benteke on the periphery, and as one of Liverpool’s top earners following a £32.5 million move from Aston Villa last summer, is likely to be moved on as a result.

According to the Mail, Pulis’ West Brom have registered their interest in signing Benteke, providing an ideal solution for all parties.

Pulis is believed to be looking to fund a move for Benteke by selling former Tottenham Hotspur target Saido Berahino, who is valued at £22 million.

Berahino, a fleet-footed, off-shoulder striker, is at odds with Pulis’ direct attacking style, with the Welshman preferring to utilise a strong, lone centre-forward.

Benteke, like current West Brom strikers Salomon Rondon and Rickie Lambert, would fit that brief.

As he proved during his time with Villa, Benteke is at his best employing a direct attacking outlook, with his power and aerial prowess allowing him to dominate defences in the focal role up front.

Having scored 49 goals in 101 games for Villa, Benteke was a considerable success within a similar system.

LONDON, ENGLAND - Saturday, October 31, 2015: Liverpool's Christian Benteke scores the third goal against Chelsea during the Premier League match at Stamford Bridge. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Unfortunately for the 25-year-old, this failed to translate to life at Liverpool, though Benteke is far from a poor Premier League striker—but under Klopp, his limitations are magnified.

Benteke’s last start for the Reds came in February’s FA Cup fourth-round replay loss to West Ham United, leaving him frustrated.

The Belgium international told reporters during the most recent international break, that he would have never signed “if I wasn’t the manager’s first choice.” He has been injured since then but is close to returning to fitness.

West Brom will face a fight to sign Benteke, with Juventus, Atletico Madrid and West Ham all believed to be pursuing the striker this summer.

But for lower expectations and the perfect environment for his attacking qualities, Benteke would be wise to consider a move to the Hawthorns.

Whether West Brom would be willing to pay even half of the £32 million Liverpool paid last summer is another question.

Fan Comments