Reports in Turkey suggest Super Lig giants Galatasaray have not been deterred in their pursuit of Lucas Leiva.
Lucas has been ruled out for the start of the 2016/17 after suffering a hamstring injury in Liverpool’s 2-0 win away Huddersfield Town last week.
This threatened to derail a possible move to Istanbul, with Galatasaray said to be plotting a move for the Brazilian, either on loan or on a permanent deal.
But according to Turkish Football, citing reports in Turkey, Jan Olde Riekerink’s side are still interested in signing Lucas, in their lengthy campaign to replace Felipe Melo.
However, this could mean Lucas only arrives on loan, with Galatasaray said to be negotiating a lower fee for the midfielder following his injury.
The former Gremio youth will also miss friendlies against Barcelona and Mainz 05, as well as the Reds’ season opener away to Arsenal.
Galatasaray have already signed two players this summer, in Serdar Aziz and Emrah Bassan, but are believed to be desperate to add a defensive midfielder to their ranks.
The Turkish club’s director Levent Nazifoglu recently confirmed their interest in Lucas, but also stressed they had “other alternatives.”
Lucas is unlikely to play a key role under Klopp in 2016/17, with the likes of Emre Can, Marko Grujic, Jordan Henderson, James Milner and Georginio Wijnaldum poised to fight for starting berths in midfield.
Can is due to link up with Klopp’s squad on Tuesday, after a three-week holiday following this summer’s European Championship.
The 26-year-old has agreed personal terms with the Potters, and will undergo a medical on Monday, with a move to the Britannia Stadium imminent.