Support our independent LFC content & go advert-free.
Support our independent Liverpool FC content and go advert-free with This Is Anfield Premium.

Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona deal ‘practically done’

Philippe Coutinho‘s move to Barcelona is “practically done” according to reports on Saturday morning.

Spanish newspaper AS says a fee of €160 million (£142 million) has been agreed.

It’s claimed the player could travel to Barcelona on Saturday evening, in order to be present for their game against Levante at the Nou Camp on Sunday.

He would then train with the Spanish side on Monday and be available to make his debut against Celta next Wednesday.

It was previously reported, in the Times, that Barcelona’s bid of €160 million consisted of €120 million initial fee (£106 million) with the additional €40 million in add-ons.

Those bonuses are said to be more attainable than the ridiculous ones Barcelona had offered in the summer.

The 25-year-old Brazilian missed Liverpool’s FA Cup win over Everton on Friday night with another timely injury, but manager Jurgen Klopp had insisted on Thursday that he expected to have the player back available for the match against Man City next weekend.

It’s believed that the decision to sell Coutinho this month has been left with Klopp to decide, and that Thomas Lemar and Riyad Mahrez are being lined up as potential replacements.

With eight days until the next game, the Liverpool squad are flying to Dubai on Saturday for warm weather training – but Coutinho is not travelling.

UPDATE: The Spanish report has been corroborated by the Independent, who write that “The deal to take Philippe Coutinho from Barcelona to Liverpool is agreed almost in its entirety and the Brazilian playmaker could make the move official by Monday.”

Adios, Philippe.

Fan Comments