Not this again!
European Super League, v2.0. Oh joy. Apparently, last year’s greatest embarrassment in the sporting world simply wasn’t enough for Agnelli, Perez and the gang.
Yes, it’s back on the table and under discussion apparently – with LaLiga boss Javier Tebas spilling the beans on talks between Spain and Italy’s top sides.
“What they’re saying, especially the Real Madrid president, is that they failed a first attempt. They have seen it was difficult to get English clubs to take part. They are trying to design a model where English clubs are not present, there will be (representatives from) the other four (major European) leagues,” he said.
“There will be some sort of first division and a second division. As far as I know, national leagues will have access through the second division. Those in the first division, they have direct access because they will never get relegated. I don’t know if Agnelli will explain. And if he doesn’t explain he’s lying.”
All good friends again, then!
Reaction to Norwich and Minamino the cup-slayer
- Takumi Minamino has now scored more than twice the number of goals of any other player in cup competitions since he joined the Reds!
- Our No18 was given the highest match rating by fans and media alike, while the boss hailed his impact on the line-up after the disappointment of missing the final at the weekend
- Jurgen Klopp also equalled the win record of Kenny Dalglish last night – but in far fewer games, in the latest milestone for the boss
Latest Liverpool FC news
- The Reds are in the last eight of the FA Cup for the first time under Klopp so our Man United game will be moved – but when can we play them? Details here
- Kostas Tsimikas says he’ll “give everything” to celebrate more trophies with the Reds after collecting his first one at the weekend
- And the Reds’ support cast to the regular first XI have been commended by Klopp after guiding the team past Norwich in the FA Cup
Latest Premier League chat
- Jesse Marsch has, unsurprisingly, already had to bat away the ‘Ted Lasso’ questions as he prepares to take charge of Leeds for the first time. Now if only they had a talented South American in attack too who we could enjoy watching…
- Carlo Ancelotti is apparently on the list to become Manchester United manager next season. What a rollercoaster for him, going from Tom Davies in midfield to Toni Kroos and back to Scott McTominay
- Djed Spence is on the right-back wishlist for Bayern, Spurs and Arsenal this summer – he’s a ‘Boro kid on loan at Forest. Every single one of those have bought at least one right-back in the last two years, and more than one in some cases
Tweet of the day and match of the night
In my Saturday league side we just shout: “Push up!”
Some discussion on the TV again about how high Liverpool’s line is, and is that high line dangerous – should it be pushed back 5 or 10 yards? Good point as the GD in the Premier League is only +50 via 70GF and 20GA.
— Chris Williams (@Chris78Williams) March 2, 2022
Tonight’s late fixture sees Boreham Wood produce a giant-killing shocker to knock out Everton. Lampard’s plucky lads will put up a good fight though.