Liverpool are building up to their return to action and the media are focusing on potential summer transfer plans.
Pair linked with summer transfers to Reds
One new name, one extremely recurring one in the tabloid rumours on Wednesday.
First up, Timo Werner remains right at the top of the Reds’ wanted list, according to Bild, with the RB Leipzig forward keen to test himself in a new environment.
A £50 million or so deal is said to be the starting point for the move.
Elsewhere, Hellas Verona centre-back Marash Kumbulla is being watched by the Reds according to reports out of Italy.
Liverpool, Dortmund and Man United are all preparing for a potential £20 million move for the 20-year-old.
Pre-season without Mo?
Two pieces of news which might not come as a huge surprise for next season, now.
The forward would thus miss pre-season with the Reds, as well as the opening to the new season in all likelihood – and don’t forget the AFCON is to come in the new year afterwards, too.
“You never know” is essentially Lovren’s message, but he’s fourth choice in defence and has very little chance of usurping Joe Gomez.
For now it’s all about wrapping up the title though, in a team he has more than played his part in.
Eye on the future
Lots to consider surrounding the immediate, and longer-term, future of the club and players.
- Neco Williams’ rise and best traits get looked at by Rob Jones, who was a right-back for the Reds in his own time
- Herbie Kane’s season is over after six games out on loan due to a ligament injury
- And the club have released some brilliant pictures of how the new Anfield Road End might look after expansion works
Quickfire LFC news
- Peter Moore says the club’s style was completely changed after Philippe Coutinho‘s departure to Barcelona (Evening Standard)
- Spurious rumours from Italy suggest the Reds are scouting Inter Milan midfielder Marcelo Brozovic (Mail)
- And Dani Ceballos says Liverpool looked at him in summer, before he picked Arsenal for a loan move (Marca)
Around the Prem
- Man United think they’ll beat Liverpool and Chelsea to signing Jadon Sancho, but don’t mention what form of blackmail or witchcraft they’ll be using (Mirror)
- Dries Mertens will head to the Premier League on a free this summer, with all those mid-table hopefuls like Arsenal circling (Mail)
- Hakim Ziyech has been available for about seven hundred transfer windows now and Chelsea will finally take the plunge (Telegraph)
- And Ajax want Jan Vertonghen off Spurs on a free transfer this summer as he’ll fit in perfectly with their vibrant, youthful approach (Independent)
Stupid referee of the day
Tweet of the day
"If you see those people, you push hard and harder to make them proud because it's the only satisfaction they have on it. I have to give back what they have done for me."
Sadio Mane on the support back in his hometown village of Bambali ?
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) February 12, 2020
What we’re reading
Worth watching tonight
Coppa Italia semi-final first leg, Inter Milan against Napoli at 7:45pm on BT Sport 2.