Liverpool news this week features transfer speculation, injury news, contract deliberations and more. Anything to take our mind off a defeat, hey?!
Juve centre-back the unexpected latest rumour
We’ve had the Bundesliga links, the Ligue 1 links, the Premier League links and the Austrian links, so perhaps we should have known Serie A was next in line.
Juventus centre-back Merih Demiral is rumoured to be on the Reds’ radar today, with the Turkey international an interesting prospect in terms of his age, strengths and supposedly wanting a move.
But the asking price of €50m doesn’t feel entirely probable this window, and there are other potential sticking points, too.
You can check out more about the rumour and the player himself on the link above, as well as a nice little video of his finest moments.
Just LaLiga rumours to come then? Oh wait…see below for that…
Gini Wijnaldum, we want you to stay
Our Dutch midfielder is out of contract in the summer and, so far, there’s no agreement between player and club about a renewal.
The issue doesn’t appear to be a genuine desire on either part to extend the contract, but rather a lack of agreement about the No. 5’s worth.
Wednesday’s reports claim that Gini wants to be put in the same pay bracket as the club’s top earners, up towards £200,000 a week.
It’s a monstrous raise from his current level and debate will be fierce about whether he deserves it, he’ll be worth it in a year or two or whether he’s even replaceable.
As long as he’s good enough on the pitch will be the only thing Klopp cares about and he’s certainly been that this term.
The good, the bad and the departed
Over in parts of Europe, they celebrate 6th January as a day of gift-giving. Today, Reds fans are given the gift of hope, regarding Joel Matip‘s fitness.
- The big centre-back is in line for a return ahead of schedule against Manchester United
- Here we’ve got five surprising stats about the season so far, from shots to free-kicks and everything in between
- And here are the 17 players who left the Reds over summer…and what has happened to them next
Quickfire LFC news
- Jurgen Klopp‘s complaints over penalties is backed up by the stats (TIA)
- LFC Women are preparing for their first game of 2021 (LFC)
- And Grujic says he’s “confused” at not getting a chance and mixed messages from Liverpool (Kurir)
Around the Prem
- Mesut Ozil is chatting to DC United about becoming their very own overpaid mercenary for a while (f.l)
- Pep is “pretty sure” Kevin de Bruyne will renew with Man City despite the midfielder turning one deal down. Not the first City individual to have an issue with “no means no”, hey? (Sky Sports)
- Dani Ceballos hopes to leave Arsenal, return to Real Madrid and break into the first team, because the delusion remains strong with this one (Cadena Ser)
- And West Ham will try to sign 35-year-old, playing-in-China striker Graziano Pelle if they fail to sign Bournemouth‘s 28-year-old Josh King. How is this even a strategy?! (Star)
Stupid rumour of the day
The absolute LIES on show from El Chiringuito, who say Liverpool have “knocked on the door” for Sergio Ramos.
Only reason we’d be knocking on his door is to show the youngsters at the club how not to defend, or behave.
Tweet of the day
It is indeed Liverpool vs VAR as a separate match every other week. pic.twitter.com/S5mcmtQm8v
— Artur Petrosyan (@arturpetrosyan) January 6, 2021
What we’re reading
The plans to expand LFC into Australia, an agenda headed up by a former title-winner with the Reds.
And the story of the Premier League’s first British Asian, who turns out to be former Red Jimmy Carter.
Worth watching tonight
Manchester derby in the cup at 7:45 or Milan vs Juve at the top of Serie A at the same time.