Your first Liverpool news overview of the week includes an exciting defensive prospect, some honesty from the skipper and more recognition for the Egyptian King.
16-year-old defender shines for U21s
Summer youth signing Amara Nallo has made an impressive start to life at the club and it hasn’t gone unnoticed by U21s boss Barry Lewtas.
The 16-year-old centre-back joined from West Ham‘s academy in August and has started each of the last four games for Liverpool U21s despite his young age.
Nallo played the entirety of the 1-1 draw with Benfica U21s in Sunday’s Premier League International Cup clash and his performance attracted rave reviews from the manager of the young Reds.
Lewtas described the defender’s showing at Kirkby as “excellent” on the club’s official website, adding: “He is just 16 and I don’t think we’ve ever asked a lad that young to play at centre-back against senior opposition. He should be really proud of his performance.”
It is exciting to see the speedy progress of such a young player and it will be intriguing to see where his talent can take him in the next couple of years!
3 things today: Van Dijk admission & Klopp hails depth
- Virgil van Dijk has admitted Liverpool were lucky not to lose Ibrahima Konate to a sending off in the Merseyside derby
- Jurgen Klopp has praised his squad depth and said that all four of his substitutes against Everton “should be starters”
- Jordan Henderson and Gini Wijnaldum started in midfield for Al-Ettifaq in their 1-0 loss away to Al Riyadh, in front of just 696 supporters
Latest Liverpool FC news
- Mohamed Salah has been named PFA Premier League Fans’ Player of the Month for September after scoring two and assisting two in the four games
- Andy Carroll made it two goals in two for his surprise new side with a brilliant lobbed volley from 45 yards in a 1-1 draw
- Kaide Gordon‘s latest fitness issue has been described as a “football injury” after making his return for the U21s
What else is going on?
- Arsenal have four injury doubts as they prepare to face Sevilla in the Champions League on Tuesday night (football.london)
- Ange Postecoglou has insisted he isn’t surprised by the fast start his Tottenham side have made in the Premier League this season (Sky Sports)
- 17-year-old Marc Guiu scored the winning goal for Barcelona just 33 seconds into his debut against Athletic Bilbao (BBC)
Video of the day and match of the night
‘Live at 5’ is back as Paul Cope and Gareth Roberts unpack yet another Merseyside derby win over Everton at Anfield, but was Konate fortunate not to walk?
Kick-off is at 8pm (BST) and you can watch it all unfold on Sky Sports Main Event.