We round up the latest Liverpool news and transfer rumours on Wednesday, following the 2-0 win over Porto at Anfield.
Today’s Main Headlines
- Grown-up performances & Klopp’s midfield masterplan
Has the boss been planning this duo’s upsurge in form all along?
- Klopp ‘apologises’ for his use of Henderson
The skipper is thriving further up the pitch.
- Van Dijk on Liverpool FC ‘double dreams’
“We should be confident,” says the Reds’ centre-back.
- The media on Liverpool 2–0 Porto
Midfield shines as Reds show “maturity” for extraordinary double.
- Liverpool 2-0 Porto: Player Ratings – What the media say
Four players stand out for the Reds.
Rumours Continue over Hudson-Odoi Move
One bookmaker has slashed their odds on Liverpool signing Callum Hudson-Odoi this summer.
The highly-rated Chelsea youngster is expected to leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season, with the Reds now 5/1 favourites to acquire his signature.
At just 18, Hudson-Odoi is a hugely exciting prospect and Jurgen Klopp would likely love to develop him alongside his current world-class attackers.
This could simply be a way of the gambling market attempting to entice customers, of course, but it is still an interesting development.
Van Dijk Salutes “Fantastic” Keita
Naby Keita may have struggled in his first season at Liverpool, but two goals in as many matches suggests he is starting to find his feet.
Someone who can’t speak highly enough of the midfielder is Virgil van Dijk, who says he knows exactly how special the Reds’ No.8 is.
“He’s a fantastic player. We see it day in, day out,” Van Dijk told LiverpoolFC.com.
“I’m just very happy for him that he’s starting.
“To score two goals in the last two games is very pleasing for him, but very important for all of us. I’m very happy for him.”
Keita is coming into form at just the right time and the performances of the Guinean and Jordan Henderson against Porto mean Gini Wijnaldum could struggle to come back into the side against Chelsea on Sunday.
Liverpool Strongly Linked With Neres
Ajax have been one of European football’s major success stories this season, having reached the Champions League quarter-finals playing a rich brand of attacking football.
One of their many prodigiously gifted youngsters is David Neyes and Le 10 Sport claim Liverpool are eyeing up a summer move for him.
The French publication are usually a reliable source, so there could be genuine substance to the story.
Neres is one of Brazil’s most exciting young players and the 22-year-old made his debut for the Selecao against the Czech Republic last month, immediately assisting one goal and almost scoring another.
Could he become the latest Brazilian to represent the Reds?
Can Admits Training Struggles
Emre Can traded Liverpool for Juventus last summer, bringing to an end four years of good service at Anfield.
In an interview with Goal, the German has opened up about how he struggled with the intensity of the Reds’ training sessions under Klopp, while admitting it is even harder at his current club:
“I already complained to Jurgen Klopp about the hard training in Liverpool!
“But the training here at Juventus is a bit tougher.
“We have to run even more, do more strength training. It was a big challenge for me at the beginning. But now my body has got used to it.”
Liverpool have done well to move on seamlessly without Can being around, considering he was often a key man in their midfield.
No Retrospective Action For Salah
Mohamed Salah will not face retrospective action after getting away with a potential sending off against Porto.
The Liverpool forward left his foot in high on midfielder Danilo late in the game, albeit unintentionally, in what was the type of tackle that has led to red cards in the past.
The 26-year-old is in the clear, however, after officials at Anfield reviewed the incident. He cannot face a later punishment, according to Article 9 of UEFA’s disciplinary regulations.
It is a huge boost ahead of the second leg in Portugal next Wednesday, with the Reds knowing that one away goal should effectively kill off the tie.
Youngster Rejected Reds Move
According to Het Nieuwsblad, via Sport Witness, Anderlecht youngster Jeremy Doku turned down a move to Liverpool.
The 16-year-old apparently rejected the switch in favour of progressing at his current employers, where he made his first-team debut back in November.
The transfer window in which Doku said no to the Reds is unspecified.
The teenage forward was strongly linked with a move to Liverpool this time last year, but the transfer never came to fruition.
Whether or not they come back in for Doku in the future remains to be seen.