We round up the latest Liverpool news and transfer rumours on Wednesday, as Alisson and Roberto Firmino reach the final of Copa America.
Today’s Main Headlines
- Liverpool linked with Spanish Euro Under-21-winning duo
A couple of exciting rumours.
- New details on why Buvac left as Klopp’s assistant
Find out why ‘The Brain’ left Liverpool.
- Guinea boss says Keita is struggling with mental barrier of injuries
Controversial remarks from Paul Put?
- Why Liverpool need to sign an attacker
Key trio likely to miss start of season.
- Alisson and Firmino reach Copa America final
Liverpool pair do the double on Messi.
Young Duo Find New Clubs
Bobby Adekanye has completed his free transfer from Liverpool to Lazio, having opted to leave the Reds when his contract expired.
The winger was an exciting part of Neil Critchley‘s Under-23 side but injuries hampered him and a move away has been on the cards for some time now.
Adekanye has signed a four-year deal with the Serie A outfit, with guarantees that he will be afforded regular first team action.
Meanwhile, Conor Masterson is another youngster who has left Liverpool for pastures new.
The young centre-back has traded the Reds for QPR, joining the Championship club on a two-year deal.
Masterson had been tipped to make an impact in the Liverpool first team, but like Adekanye, he struggled with fitness issues.
The 20-year-old was named in three matchday squads for Liverpool: an FA Cup clash with Exeter City in 2016, the 3-0 win over Man City in the 2017/18 Champions League and a goalless draw at Everton three days later.
“No Offers” for Woodburn
Ben Woodburn‘s career hasn’t kicked on in the manner many predicted, considering he became the youngest goalscorer in Liverpool’s history back in November 2016.
The Welshman suffered a disappointing spell on loan at Sheffield United last season and he will again be sent out on a temporary basis in 2019/20.
That’s if anyone will take him, of course, with Wales Online claiming that there have been “no offers” for Woodburn so far this summer.
He may even be “prepared to drop down to League One” in order to rebuild his career, which is an indictment of the way his stock has fallen in the last 12 months.
It’s important to remember that Woodburn is still just a teenager, however, so time is still on his side. He’s expected to be involved in pre-season before any loan is determined.
Liverpool “Quietly Optimistic” About 16-year-old
According to Goal‘s Neil Jones, Liverpool are “quietly optimistic” about the progress of academy prospect Layton Stewart.
The 16-year-old will join up with the Reds’ Under-18s side this season, highlighting the leap forward he has made.
Stewart made one appearance for Barry Lewtas‘ team in 2018/19, making a late cameo in a 1-1 draw with Newcastle back in February.
The midfielder was born in September 2002 – who else feels old?
EFL Trophy Decision Explained
Liverpool’s youngsters will play in the EFL Trophy for the first time next season, having previously rebuffed offers to take part in the controversial competition.
That decision has now been explained by Reds U23s boss Critchley, who told LiverpoolFC.com about the importance of being tested at ‘senior’ level:
“The obvious [benefit] is playing against men, which we don’t get too many times at U23 level.
“Playing against senior players, men, experienced players is different to playing in some of the games we play. Playing in stadiums, in front of supporters brings out that little bit of added pressure.
“You want to see our players play under pressure at this age because the next step is the biggest step to take.”
Liverpool will be one of 16 Category One academy teams in the competition next season, as well as the 48 clubs from League One and League Two.
And Finally…’The Daily Fernandes’
Life wouldn’t seem right without a Bruno Fernandes update – why break the mould now?
According Portuguese outlet A Bola, via Inside Futbol, the midfielder’s agent, Miguel Pinho, will fly to England for fresh talks with the Reds, Tottenham and Man United to discuss a move for his client.
None of the trio are expected to bid more than €55 million (£49.4m) for the 24-year-old, which could prove to be a stumbling block.
Fernandes enjoyed a wonderful season for Sporting CP in 2018/19, scoring 31 goals in 50 appearances from attacking midfield.
As is the norm at the moment, don’t read too much into it.