“Very interested” in Arsenal youngster
Eyebrows were raised when the Gunners named 15-year-old Ethan Nwaneri on the bench for their clash with Brentford, with the midfielder only born in March 2007.
At 15 years and 181 days old, he beats Elliott’s record by 214 days, and is the first-ever 15-year-old to appear in the Premier League.
When asked about Nwaneri’s debut after the game, Arteta told BBC Sport that the 15-year-old “is a big talent that we want to keep with us,” suggesting Arsenal could be fighting off interest from other clubs.
And according to the Echo‘s Keifer MacDonald, Liverpool were “very interested” in signing Nwaneri in the summer transfer window.
MacDonald adds that Arsenal hope the youngster will commit to a scholarship deal when he turns 16 next March, but that may not stop the Reds from following up their interest.
Could be one to keep an eye on!
3 things today: Another international call-up
- Tyler Morton has been called up to the England under-21 squad for the first time, where he’ll be reunited with Harvey Elliott for the young Lions’ upcoming matches with Italy and Germany.
- Sepp van den Berg was one of nine Liverpool loanees to feature this weekend, with one academy striker scoring five minutes into his senior debut.
- Kostas Tsimikas is sporting a new look ahead of the international break, with a number of Liverpool players enjoying some time off before joining up with their nations.
Latest Liverpool FC news
- Katie Stengel has explained her relief after scoring two penalties as Liverpool Women came from behind to beat Chelsea in their WSL opener on Sunday.
- As 11 members of Jurgen Klopp‘s senior Liverpool squad prepare to join up with their nations for the September international break, we take a look at the players who will be travelling the furthest.
- It may not be long until Liverpool are playing Champions League matches outside Europe, with a report on Monday claiming executives behind some of the competition’s top clubs are in favour of the move.
Tweet of the day
Two years of Diogo!
— This Is Anfield (@thisisanfield) September 19, 2022
Have a good Monday evening, Reds.