Liverpool’s news in midweek sees the usual batch of transfer rumours, insider chat from Kirkby and looking ahead to the next game.
David Alaba no longer on Reds’ radar
One of the big links for Liverpool fans to think about over the past few weeks has been David Alaba’s likely availability at the end of the season.
The Bayern Munich utility man is on a free transfer and the Reds, plus Real Madrid, have been widely linked with him – but today’s reports scupper that hope.
Melissa Reddy of the Independent says that the Reds did indeed hold talks with the Austrian, or at least his agents, but it was rather as part of a fact-building mission which was used to gauge the level of finance needed for the Thiago deal.
As a centre-back, he’s not on our wish-list, nor is he as a left-back cover option.
The move is a non-starter at this point, even on a free in the summer.
Don’t like that angle? Here you go then: SportBILD say we’re one of six clubs who have recently approached Alaba’s father and agent over a summer move!
Koeman thinks he’s got Gini sewn up
Our reliable No. 5 seems to have grown in stature again this season, producing lots of top performances and being constantly available to play while others succumb to injury.
However, like Alaba above, he’s in the final months of his contract now with no agreement in sight and Barcelona have been linked with him since the summer.
Ronald Koeman wants at least one of he, Eric Garcia and Memphis Depay to arrive in January, with the other two signing on a free at the end of the season – and the Barca boss is confident that Wijnaldum will do so, according to Mundo Deportivo.
The suggestion is that “Wijnaldum has decided not to sign a new deal” at Anfield – though local reports last week did suggest that Gini was keen to stay and the real issue was the contract terms.
Still a while to roll on this one.
Training ground tales
Having had to delete and rewrite this entire sentence, we can confirm it’s still taking some used to thinking about Liverpool planning and training at Kirkby. Not Melwood.
- The Reds have made some extra changes to protocols and processes to keep the playing squad safe from a ‘rona outbreak
- Mo Salah is happy, making jokes and not at all bothered by rumours, says Fabinho, who today we love even more than usual
- But Joel Matip isn’t yet back in team training and looks unlikely to be fit in time to face United
Quickfire LFC news
- James Milner is the king of social media – but he previously thought an old team-mate was behind the original ‘Boring Milner’ account (TIA)
- A former Barcelona coach says the technical staff had real fears they would lose the Anfield semi-final in 2019…which they did, 4-0! (SW)
- Man United are busy being all smug and back-handed about compliments ahead of their trip to Anfield (TIA)
- And if you’ve ever wanted to scroll through 75 photos of the Reds training in what looks like extremely cold weather, today’s the day you’ve been waiting for (LFC)
Around the Prem
- Roman Abramovich wants to bring former boss Avram Grant back to assist Frank Lampard and honestly we cannot decide which GIF or meme is funniest to use here (Sky)
- Fernandinho might stay another season at Man City because he can’t decide which European or South American club to join instead (Telegraph)
- West Ham sold big striker Seb Haller at a loss because he didn’t fit their style, so now they’re going to go sign big striker Arek Milik instead (SW)
- And Arsenal now want to sign Shakhtar’s Manor Solomon to replace £4bn (approximately) duo Willian and Nicolas Pepe (Guardian)
Stupid rumour of the day
Our favourite rumour around Europe today is PSG boss Poch wanting to sell Mbappe to raise funds to pay for a Messi-Aguero attack, plus Sergio Ramos in defence.
Good fun for a year or so – what comes in 2023 when they all have to retire?!
Tweet of the day
This thread of Liverpool players made to look aged 10 is amazing but our favourite is Small Shaq!
Small Shaq? pic.twitter.com/Ul9xVWtR3V
— Waz (@WazFPL) January 13, 2021
Worth watching tonight
Spurs – Fulham, presumably. 8:15 on whatever channel it was supposed to be on two weeks ago, as that’s how football works now.