Liverpool won a game! We’re still going in Europe, positivity is bouncing back and the rumours mill keeps on cranking out those names and price tags.
Wonderkid on Reds’ radar
We didn’t get Neymar, we didn’t get Rodrygo, but the Reds want to make sure they don’t miss their chance to sign the next one, apparently.
Santos’ Angelo Gabriel is being watched by the Reds – “keeping tabs” apparently – and we’re alongside Real Madrid trying to land the 16-year-old.
He debuted at 15, has already played in the Copa Libertadores and has the usual skill and speed combo which accompanies the teenage talent conveyor belt you associate with that nation.
The release clause is €60m and normally we wouldn’t get a work permit for those untried at the top levels, but of course matters have changed.
We’re definitely sure this will all be wrapped up nice and quickly without being a two-year-long saga, given his age.
Jurgen dismisses “rubbish” talk of Thiago
The boss is extremely sure of what he wants the Spaniard for, and it was never likely to be on show in the first couple of months in the team…which is effectively the point he’s still at, thanks to Richarlison.
“I assume when you look at Liverpool from Germany, people are saying ‘it’s to do with Thiago‘ or whatever. That’s rubbish.
“All of the players that were new have always needed some time to get used to our gameplan, but obviously Thiago doesn’t have that [time] yet.
“But he improves week on week. It’s not a short-term project, it’s a long-term project.”
It’s clear just how much Thiago is bringing when things click, and – just like with Fab, Robbo, plenty of others – there’s more to come in the seasons ahead.
Reaction to a WIN!
Come on, then, ‘fess up: what was your overriding emotion at full-time?! Delight? Relief?! A bit of both and more besides?!
- Ballon d’Or contender Nat Phillips is NOT out of contract this summer, says his agent
- Thiago says he’s hopeful the win over Leipzig will see the Reds end their “nightmare” run in the league and rediscover form
- And here are five things fans loved about the win, including the ‘Bolton Baresi’ and plans to relocate to Budapest
Quickfire LFC news
- The players took to social media after a long-overdue win (TIA)
- Udinese are warning admirers, including the Reds, that Rodrigo De Paul won’t come cheap (SW)
Around the Prem
- Arteta says the Arsenal project will “go bang” at some stage. Who wants to tell him that’s the noise a balloon makes when you pop it? (BBC)
- Barcelona are going back to their youth roots policy with news they’ve offered a contract to Sergio Aguero (TyC)
- Edinson Cavani was the saviour of United about three weeks ago; today he wants to leave and join Boca Juniors (ESPN)
- And West Ham will have to pay Watford £2m for Craig Dawson when he plays three more games. Not bad considering they’ve been paying fellow centre-back Fabian Balbuena millions a year to do absolutely nothing of note (Athletic)
Intriguing news of the day
United have a new club structure with a football director and all sorts. Darren Fletcher is in as a technical director and they have a ‘football negotiator’ too in a directorial position.
Let’s see if it has a big impact on their recruitment and club policies over the coming months – the Reds are still the gold standard here.
Tweet of the day
— Lubo 19* (@lubomerkov) March 11, 2021
Worth watching tonight
Europa League shenanigans or have a night off.