Two Liverpool stars have been nominated for an award in their homeland and Owen Beck looks set to move overseas. Thursday’s roundup is here!
Salah and Keita up for African Men’s Player of the Year
The Confederation of African Football has confirmed the 30-man shortlist for the 2022 African Men’s Player of the Year award, with Mohamed Salah and Naby Keita both included.
Salah, who won the award in 2017 and 2018, will be one of the favourites to secure it again, having notched 31 goals in 51 matches for Liverpool last season.
He also won the Premier League‘s Golden Boot and Playmaker of the Year awards and was named Professional Footballers’ Association Men’s Players’ Player of the Year and Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year.
Guinea midfielder Keita enjoyed one of his best seasons for the Reds and remains one of the best midfielders from his continent.
However, ex-Liverpool forward Sadio Mane, who left for Bayern Munich earlier this month, will be the bookies’ favourite, having scored the winning penalties as Senegal beat Salah’s Egypt to the AFCON trophy and World Cup qualification earlier this year.
Mane won the award in 2019 and who could argue against him winning it again?
The winner will be announced alongside the other CAF Awards on July 21.
3 things today: Beck in line for move abroad & Lijnders’ pre-season hint
- Owen Beck could be set for a loan move abroad this summer, having reportedly received offers from Portugal, Italy and France.
- Pep Lijnders has already named two Liverpool youngsters he hopes will join the first-team when they begin their pre-season preparations next week.
- Fabio Carvalho, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott and Jude Bellingham could be among the reasons why Liverpool look unlikely to sign a new midfielder this summer.
Latest Liverpool FC news
- Naby Keita scored two goals as he joined a local game in his hometown stadium in Guinea. He was even wearing Liverpool’s brand new kit!
- Harvey Elliott reunited with his former QPR youth coach for a finishing session and one of his brilliant strikes was caught on camera.
- Jay Spearing’s new Liverpool player-coach role has been explained and those within the club believe he can “make a real difference.”
Latest transfer chat
- Richarlison is undergoing a medical at Tottenham after Antonio Conte’s side agreed a £60 million fee with Everton. Can’t wait to see how they use that money!
- Tottenham are also said to be closing in on the signings of centre-back Clement Lenglet, who’ll join on loan from Barcelona, and right-back Djed Spence from Nottingam Forest.
- In France, PSG have agreed a deal to sign Porto midfielder Vitinha, with Lille’s Renato Sanches and Inter Milan’s Milan Skriniar also on their radar.
Tweet of the day and match of the night
Remembering a Liverpool legend 21 years after he sadly passed away.
Remembering the great Joe Fagan, who sadly passed away on this day in 2001 ? pic.twitter.com/638AkK7NeJ
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) June 30, 2022