Liverpool’s pre-season is well underway and we have news from the camp, as well as the latest on transfer rumours and looking ahead to 2020/21.
Grujic set for Bundesliga return
Might just be a quick stop in Austria for Marko Grujic – then back to Germany rather than England for the next step in his career.
The Serbian midfielder has been at Hertha Berlin for the past two seasons on loan, but their pursuit of Schalke’s Weston McKennie made it seem as though Grujic’s time at the club was up.
However, that move has fallen through and German media report going back in for Grujic is the next plan in mind.
The Reds are known to be wanting £20 million for him, more than has been suggested that Hertha want to pay.
Trent absence explained
Most of the first-team squad are in Austria undergoing the first days of pre-season training, but Trent Alexander-Arnold is not among them.
The right-back is still on Merseyside, report the Echo, undergoing his own “bespoke fitness regime” after picking up a small injury.
It’s not expected to be a big deal, or even to keep him out of the Community Shield later this month, but the staff felt he’d get more benefit working from home toward full fitness.
Neco Williams and Ki-Jana Hoever are the right-back alternatives if our No. 66 misses any actual matches in the build-up to the new season.
Changes for next season…maybe
Jurgen Klopp is likely to make some alterations to his set-up and planning for 20/21, just because of the unique circumstances. Pre-season gives an early indication of how…
- The boss says more rotation is on the way in what will be the “most intense season” in memory
- Harry Wilson has missed a bit of an opportunity to impress, but could be involved going forward
- And a one-to-one session with a brilliant young defender has Klopp keen to see more involvement of one of our youth players out in Austria
Quickfire LFC news
- Tsimikas is a ‘perfect fit’ for the Reds and Klopp, says his former Olympiacos coach (Goal)
- And LFC Women have a new captain for the campaign ahead (TIA)
Around the Prem
- Sadio Mane has been voted PFA Fans’ POTY and it’s about time his greatness was acknowledged in truth (TIA)
- David Silva is set for a statue outside Man City‘s stadium and in truth there’s more reason for this one than Fulham‘s Michael Jackson one (BBC)
- Arsenal are set to confirm Aubameyang’s new contract and the signing of Gabriel Magalhaes, so those saved admin workers’ salaries have been put to good use (Telegraph)
- And Juventus want either Alex Lacazette or Raul Jimenez, in keeping with their usual youth development programme for No. 9s (Sky)
Stupid rumour of the day
Not sure what part of this is stranger: Chelsea now don’t want Declan Rice because they don’t have £80m, Chelsea now want Lewis Dunk for £40m or Chelsea will still sign John Stones even if they get Dunk as well.
Tweet of the day
It isn’t Liverpool, but we need to acknowledge the absolute sh*t-show which is 2020 Barcelona…
Let's get this straight: Messi apparently wants to leave Barça, Ajax want Suarez, Arthur's been caught drink driving, Setien's about to be sacked (& Abidal could follow), Koeman to be appointed, Bartomeu under pressure to bring forward elections… and it's still Monday.
— Samuel Marsden (@samuelmarsden) August 17, 2020
Worth watching tonight
Europa League semi-final, Inter vs Shakhtar for the right to face Sevilla in the final. 8pm, BT Sport.