Liverpool will still bring in another forward amid a host of potential exits, according to the current transfer rumours of the day.
French media say Reds agree Sarr fee
Liverpool’s signing of Diogo Jota last week seemed to have put an end to the need and probability of bringing in Ismaila Sarr.
The deal will be €35-40 million, they say, but Aston Villa are also keen.
We have our doubts this is still one being pursued, but you never know…
Top news on site
…after all, if Sarr signs, where is Kylian Mbappe going to fit into the team?!
The PSG man has been linked with the Reds on and off for the last year or so, though never with any reliability or expectation on the part of fans.
But it could change now, with a perfect storm perhaps setting Liverpool up to make a club record move for one of the world’s best talents – next year.
#Mbappe2021 is on the agenda after the Reds and PSG were reported to be in regular contact over a move at the end of the season.
The striker’s Nike links, friendship with LeBron James, admiration of Jurgen Klopp and a whole host of other factors are cited as signs why it’s a deal made to work.
We’ll wait and see!
Hendo sets the example
Mixed news on the Reds front today, across transfers, injuries and more
- Jordan Henderson‘s mentality has always set the difference and two books highlight how he made it to the top
- Academy starlet Tom Hill is set to miss the entire season after suffering an ACL injury
- And Divock Origi is expected to attract interest in the coming weeks after Jota signed from Wolves
Quickfire LFC news
- The Reds will pay for Lincoln City players to be tested for coronavirus after Spurs’ League Cup match was called off (TIA)
- Craig Pawson will be the Reds’ ref against Arsenal, with Mark Scholes on the VAR machines and line-drawing equipment (PL)
- And U18 midfielder Luca Stephenson has signed his first pro deal with the club (LFC)
Around the Prem
- Everton are in talks to sign Santiago Arias, Atletico’s third-choice right-back being seen as a better bet than the Toffees’ own home grown option Jonjoe Kenny (Echo)
- Man United are interested in Dayot Upamecano, which is nice for them, but he’s just signed a new deal and said he’s staying at Leipzig (Telegraph)
- Sevilla say they’ve turned down an offer from Man City for Joules Kounde, which is a bit embarrassing for all the journos who said for months they wanted his team-mate Diego Carlos (Goal)
- And Edouard Mendy has had his medical with Chelsea, which must be the ‘support’ of Kepa they were talking about (BBC)
Stupid government of the day
And any plans for football fans to return to stadiums are essentially off the board for the rest of the calendar year, meaning we’ll likely be the only league having to deal with such incompetence of failing to manage the public health crisis for the entirety of 2020.
Tweet of the day
Fowler's debut on this day 27 years ago also gives us an excuse to watch this again ?
The touch ?pic.twitter.com/3IDmvuj3v8
— The Anfield Wrap (@TheAnfieldWrap) September 22, 2020
Worth watching tonight
League Cup if you’re desperate.