Liverpool will now largely be about two distinct news items all summer long: What transfer business we do, and how our players fare on international duty. Bit of both today!
Mixed reports over Liverpool signing starlet
The Reds may have agreed a deal for one of the top young stars in Africa. Or they may be close, or they may be not interested.
African football journalist Saddick Adams says the Reds have completed the transfer entirely, signing Ghana U20 star Abdul Fatawu Issahaku on a five-year contract for around £1.5m.
As a 17-year-old, he wouldn’t yet be able to move or get a work permit until his next birthday, but James Nalton reports the intention is to loan him to Sporting CP, which would enable a move to Anfield in a year.
On the other hand, local reports around Merseyside suggest that Issahaku is not currently a target, with Bayer Leverkusen instead said to be close to a deal.
We all remember how the Thiago rumours played out a year ago, right?
Origi to head to Turkey?
There’s no other way to describe this season for Divock Origi other than largely rubbish.
The Belgian striker was fifth-choice at best after Diogo Jota‘s arrival, and he hardly featured in most of the season – his one notable input being a great cross for an assist against Leipzig.
Fotomac say Fenerbahce want him on loan this summer with an option to buy, rather than an obligation, which is in contrast to reports of late saying the Reds will only allow players to depart on permanent deals this time around.
The 26-year-old scored only once last season and played just three minutes in the league after 3 February.
With no Euros for him this summer either, it’s clearly time for a fresh start for Origi.
Past, present and future
A nice mix of news today in the world of Liverpool, featuring those who are in the first team now, were in the past (I’m not crying, you are) and could be in the future.
- Our two big centre-backs were missed this season – but they’re back in front of the camera here with a good laugh about learning languages
- Gini Wijnaldum says the reasons for his departure from Liverpool will become clear in time and notes he’s still saying goodbye to the club right now
- And our 17-year-old defender Conor Bradley made his senior international debut last night for Northern Ireland – what an achievement for the youngster!
Quickfire LFC news
- Spanish media say Naby Keita was offered to Atletico Madrid by his reps, with the Spanish Liga champions turning down the deal for this summer
- Gini will have to wait to complete a move to Barcelona as Dutch boss De Boer won’t let the players take medicals while on international duty
- Firmino and Co. could be headed home as the Copa America has been switched from Argentina to Brazil
- And a member of the Wolves board has praised Jota’s work at Liverpool and regrets that the club had to sell him to fund a revamp of the squad
Around the Prem
- Chelsea have decided they’ve done it again and this time want to rectify their error: they want to re-sign Romelu Lukaku after watching other PL clubs thrive with Salah and De Bruyne
- Spurs will be changing their name to Il Tottenhamio dello Hotspursio to lure in Antonio Conte as boss and Fabio Paratici as sporting director, after the two left Inter and Juve
- Saul Niguez is so distraught at winning the title with boyhood club Atletico Madrid that he says NO to super money and Champions League semi-finalists PSG, and instead is desperate to move to Man United. Sounds legit
- Meanwhile, the striker who plays for the team who beat Man United in the final – Gerard Moreno of Villarreal – can only attract West Ham, Newcastle and Jose Mourinho’s Roma. Just stay where you are, mate
Stupid rumour of the day
Good christ almighty, is the fine art of journalism entirely dead? What about basic googling?
All these ‘rumours’ of Coutinho being offered back to Liverpool to “pay off” the rest of Barcelona’s debt are a) stupid and b) lies.
First, they don’t owe Liverpool anything, they owe a totally different company part of the remaining debt which they took on for Barcelona to be able to foot the initial bill. Secondly, the “offered to Liverpool” rumour stems from this opinion piece which is one single journalist offering a potential outlet for all six players likely to be on the ‘allowed to leave’ list this summer.
It’s not a report, it’s not a rumour, it’s an “ideal scenario” piece from a Barca-beat perspective.
Tweet of the day
People in my mentions very keen to stress it's not in any way Messi's decision that Barca just signed his Argentina roommate since age 18.
— Grace Robertson ????? (@GraceOnFootball) May 31, 2021
Worth watching tonight
Konate in action at 6! He captains France U21s in the U21 Euros quarter-final. He’s going to score or get sent-off and we get a meltdown on Twitter either way.