Transfer deadline day – so our headlines are packed with incomings and outgoings, right?! Not quite – This Is Anfield, after all. Injury and contract news, though!
Hendo signs long-term deal…fans unamused with timing
It seems the world of football social media has not yet learned that supporters are not there to be constantly duped.
Releasing non-transfer news to cover up no transfer news doesn’t work, and just makes fans irate.
As such, Jordan Henderson signing a new contract with the club should be cause for approval, if not outright celebration in all quarters – he’s the club captain who has lifted multiple titles, after all!
Reds injury news
- Roberto Firmino came off in the first half against Chelsea but fears of a long-term absence have been dismissed, with reports suggesting the injury is “not serious”
- Layton Stewart is back with the Academy side training after an ACL tear had left him sidelined for nearly six months
- Marcelo Pitaluga has similarly been MIA for six months through injury but the Brazilian goalkeeper made another step toward regular action by featuring in his first 90-minute outing
Latest Liverpool FC news
- Right before publishing time too – Nat Phillips has just signed a new contract with the Reds! A long-term deal, no loan announced alongside it.
- Jake Cain is off for a first loan spell of his career, the 19-year-old midfielder heading to League Two for some valuable first-team action
- Erling Haaland has hailed Van Dijk as the world’s best defender, picking out his technical and mental traits which make him so difficult to play against
Confirmed Deadline Day transfers
- Marc Cucurella has joined Brighton – once Tariq Lamptey is back they have two very good flying wing-backs on either side of the pitch!
- Moise Kean is officially a terrible Everton transfer – he’s back to Juve on a two-year loan for a £7m fee with an obligation to buy for around £22m, so at least they won’t lose money
- Odsonne Eduoard isn’t officially official at the time of writing, but probably will be when you read this – he’s off to Crystal Palace from Celtic for £14m, which could well look a steal in six months
Tweet of the day and match of the night
Strange stance to sign up Nat for more bench duty?
Love Nat Phillips but giving him a four-year deal to be fifth-choice centre-back is weird to say least. Also telling he talks about "whatever opportunities come my way" – even he's not expecting to play much, and he needs to play. Hopefully an offer comes in for him in January.
— Sachin Nakrani (@SachinNakrani) August 31, 2021