Liverpool’s staff exodus continues in the wake of Jurgen Klopp‘s departure, with the club announcing sporting director Jorg Schmadtke will leave his post at the end of the transfer window.
A season of change is upon the club and a lot will rest on the decisions of owners FSG to safely navigate Liverpool through it all, though finding a new sporting director would not have come as a surprise.
Schmadtke signed on a short-term deal last summer after the departure of Julian Ward, and his tenure will last only to the end of the January transfer window, with the club confirming his impending departure.
There were early concerns over his contributions, but a successful summer transfer window eased any tension, though Schmadtke has never been viewed as a long-term suitor in the role.
With the announcement, Schmadtke said: “Liverpool is a very special club so to have had the opportunity to work here has been a huge honour for me, even though I knew from the outset that it would only be for a short period.
“I would like to thank everyone – the owners, manager, staff, players and fans – for the support I have been given and offer my best wishes for the rest of this season.”
He will not preside over any further incomings with the Reds not expected to do any business on the incoming front before the January transfer window closes on February 1.
FSG president Mike Gordon said of Schmadtke: “We would like to place on record our gratitude to Jorg for the important role he has played since joining Liverpool last summer.
“He has made a valuable contribution, both in terms of the support he provided to Jurgen Klopp and the assistance and guidance given to our outstanding football operations department.”
The task of replacing Schmadtke is more interesting than ever as the next sporting director will need to work alongside a new manager who has, obviously, yet to be appointed.
There have previously been names mooted for the position but they have then quickly been rebuffed, including former Leipzig chief Max Eberl.
A season of change ahead for the Reds with plenty of appointments to get right.
Klopp to leave Liverpool
- KLOPP ANNOUNCES: He will LEAVE LIVERPOOL at end of the season
- FANS REACT: “Build him a statue!” – LFC fans on ‘heartbreaking’ news
- MORE TO LEAVE: Liverpool reveal key staff members will follow Klopp out
- WATCH: Klopp’s emotional leaving announcement interview IN FULL
- PRESSER: Jurgen Klopp press conference – Why he is leaving Liverpool FC
- MESSAGE TO FANS: “Let’s squeeze everything out of this season!”
- WHEN: Klopp reveals when he decided to leave Liverpool – and when he told the club
- WHAT NEXT? Klopp declares he will NEVER “manage a different club in England”
- PLAYERS: Klopp reveals how Liverpool players reacted to news he will leave
- FSG: Klopp shuts down claims FSG spending caused him to leave Liverpool
- KLOPP’S SUCCESSOR: FSG confirm search underway for next Liverpool manager
- HIS TAKE: Klopp insists Liverpool will appoint “top manager” – but he won’t be involved!
- ODDS: Next Liverpool manager odds as Xabi Alonso favourite
- WHAT XABI SAID: Alonso responds to next Liverpool manager claims
- SCHMADTKE LEAVES: Liverpool confirm exit of sporting director NEXT MONTH
- EXPLAINED: Why Pepijn Lijnders is also leaving Liverpool despite manager links