Jurgen Klopp has sent shockwaves through Liverpool by announcing his decision to leave the club at the end of the season, and here he explains why.
Friday brought the news none us never hoped to ever hear, that Klopp will not be manager of the club once this season reaches its conclusion.
Klopp announced the news via the club, acknowledging that it will be a “shock for a lot of people” – that’s an understatement!
In his announcement video, Klopp noted that he is “running out of energy” and reveals he made his decision known back in November, he said: “It is that I am, how can I say it, running out of energy.
“I have no problem now, obviously, I knew it already for longer that I will have to announce it at one point, but I am absolutely fine now.
“I know that I cannot do the job again and again and again and again.
“I told the club already in November. I have to explain a little bit that maybe the job I do people see from the outside.
“I’m on the touchline and in training sessions and stuff like this, but the majority of all the things happen around these kind of things. That means a season starts and you plan pretty much the next season already.
“When we sat there together talking about potential signings, the next summer camp and can we go wherever, the thought came up, ‘I am not sure I am here then anymore’ and I was surprised myself by that. I obviously start thinking about it.”
That’s quite the revelation to have!
The tributes will pour in once the shock starts to wear off but for now, Klopp is eager to focus on what can still be accomplished this season.
“We will have a moment, maybe the last matchday here or somewhere else – I mean in other countries or other competitions (to say goodbye),” he said.
“There’s enough time to do these kinds of things. Let’s now really go for it. The outside world want to use this decision, laugh about it, want to disturb us.
“We are Liverpool, we went through harder things together. And you went through harder things before me. Let’s make a strength of it. That would be really cool.
“Let’s squeeze everything out of this season and have another thing to smile about when we look back in the future.”
Klopp to leave Liverpool
- KLOPP ANNOUNCES: He will LEAVE LIVERPOOL at end of the season
- FANS REACT: “Build him a statue!” – LFC fans on ‘heartbreaking’ news
- MORE TO LEAVE: Liverpool reveal key staff members will follow Klopp out
- WATCH: Klopp’s emotional leaving announcement interview IN FULL
- PRESSER: Jurgen Klopp press conference – Why he is leaving Liverpool FC
- MESSAGE TO FANS: “Let’s squeeze everything out of this season!”
- WHEN: Klopp reveals when he decided to leave Liverpool – and when he told the club
- WHAT NEXT? Klopp declares he will NEVER “manage a different club in England”
- PLAYERS: Klopp reveals how Liverpool players reacted to news he will leave
- FSG: Klopp shuts down claims FSG spending caused him to leave Liverpool
- KLOPP’S SUCCESSOR: FSG confirm search underway for next Liverpool manager
- HIS TAKE: Klopp insists Liverpool will appoint “top manager” – but he won’t be involved!
- ODDS: Next Liverpool manager odds as Xabi Alonso favourite
- WHAT XABI SAID: Alonso responds to next Liverpool manager claims
- SCHMADTKE LEAVES: Liverpool confirm exit of sporting director NEXT MONTH
- EXPLAINED: Why Pepijn Lijnders is also leaving Liverpool despite manager links